Writer: Aaron Sorkin, Director: Thomas
Allison Janney as Press Secretary CJ Cregg, Mark Harmon as Secret Service agent Simon Donovan -- NBC -- Warner Bros. photo
- Takes Place:
- Broadcast: May 15, 2002
- Query: What really did happen to Yamamoto?
- Query: What episode does the talk of Rosslyn refer to?
- Query: Did the U.S. Government spend money to produce a pen that would write in zero gravity?
- Query: What was the Van Morrison Amy was dancing to?
- Admiral Fitzwallace and others have accumulated a lot of information on terrorist activities directed by their "ally" the Defense Minister of Qumar. There is talk of arresting him when he comes to the United States for a visit. But Bartlet doesn't think the evidence is quite overwhelming enough to overcome diplomatic immunity. He sends them back looking for more.
- Agent Donovan invites C.J. to work out at the gym used by Secret Service agents. Afterwards she notices another feature of the facility:
- "You guys have a shooting range here? . . . Let me try one of those. . . . let me see what all the fuss is about."
"Have you ever shot a gun before?"
"Well, I haven't shot one as much as I have seen others shoot them in the movies. . . . Give me your gun."
"Let me get you a .25 caliber."
"What's wrong with yours?"
"It's a .357 Magnum," he says drawing his gun.
"I've heard of that. That's a good brand. . . . Let's go. I'm feeling twitchy."
"That's good news for me. . . . I'm going to stand behind you and hold your shoulders."
"I don't need training wheels."
"Okay," he says as she shoots. "Be careful, that .357 has a bit of a kick," he continues as she's knocked down.
"That thing practically broke my arm." She complains. Then asks him, ". . . What have you got. . . . marksmanship-wise."
"Well, I can fire a gun without falling down, if that's what you mean." She has him show her, betting him that he can't put three in the center.
"How do you shoot like that?" she asks after he shows her.
"They give us lessons."
- Sam hasn't been acting like himself. He doesn't seem too sure of himself. Doesn't seem ready for a fight. Leo has noticed and says:
- "Toby, an encouraging word from you to Sam wouldn't be totally out of line."
"Sam doesn't need to be patronized. He'll shake it off."
"It'd make him feel better."
"I don't want him feeling better, I want him feeling mad. Is there anyone you'd rather have as a blood enemy less than Sam? That's how I want him."
- The President and Leo have another meeting with Fitzwallace and the others in on the activities of the Qumari Defense Minister. Afterwards, the President leaves frustrated. But Leo stays behind without saying a word. He stays as everyone else except Fitz leaves. Sitting back down and facing the Admiral, Leo finally breaks the silence.
- "This is always when you say something."
"Nah," Fitz objects. Then when Leo just sits there, he decides to say something. "Did you change shampoo? You have, I can tell. 'Cause your hair seems bouncy and more manageable."
"I like to look good for you."
"Well, I appreciate it." Fitz takes a deep breath and continues with what is really on his mind. "Can you tell when it's peacetime and wartime anymore?"
"I don't know who the world's leading expert on warfare is but any list of the top has got to include me and I can't tell when it's peacetime and wartime anymore."
"Look, international law has always recognized certain protected persons who you couldn't attack. It's been this way since the Romans."
"In peacetime. . . ."
". . . I don't like where this conversation's going. . . ."
"We killed Yamamoto. We shot down his plane."
"We declared war. . . . I'm going to get back to the office."
"We measure the success of a mission by two things: was it successful and how few civilians did we hurt. They measure success by how many. . . . You're talking to me about international laws. The laws of nature don't even apply here! I've been a soldier for 38 years and I've found an enemy I can kill. He can't cancel Shareef's trip, Leo. You've got to tell him, he can't cancel it." Leo doesn't say a thing.
- See the results of the poll on this episode at West Wing Fan Survey Page.
- For anyone interested in guest stars of this episode, let us recommend the West Wing Episode Guide.